Health Benefits of Black Seed (Nigella Sativa)
Black Seed (Nigella Sativa) is the fruit of the Nigella Sativa plant which belongs to the plant family Ranunulaceae. It is also known as Black Cumin, Roman Coriander, Nutmeg Flower and Kalongi. It is found in Europe, North Africa and South East Asia and has been used as a medicinal herb for millennia. The ancient Egyptians used it extensively with archeological evidence of Nigella Sativa seeds found in several sites including the tomb of Tutankhamen. The prophet Muhammed (PBUH) described it as “the cure for everything except death”.
Recently Nigella Sativa has undergone extensive clinical (human) research encompassing all the body’s organ systems. Unsurprisingly the results have validated the faith in it’s medicinal properties and the prophet’s pronouncement above.
Nigella Sativa is rich in thymoquinones, diathymoquinones among other substances. The seed also contains fats and oils. Studies have shown that the Black Seed (Nigella Sativa) Powder, oil and extract all possess identical clinical properties. There are numerous laboratory and animal studies on Nigella Sativa however all studies referenced here will be human studies only.
Some of the numerous benefits of Black Seed (Nigella Sativa) demonstrated in humans include:
- Blood Pressure lowering: Five clinical studies have consistently demonstrated that Black Seed (Nigella Sativa) can lower blood pressure. The TKS-MetsA study demonstrated a statistically significant lowering of up to 5 point systolic blood pressure in normotensive patients.
- Cholesterol lowering: Nine studies have demonstrated a reduction in total cholesterol and LDL (commonly referred to as bad cholesterol) the highest reduction being demonstrated in the TKS-MetsA study which was statistically significant.
- Weight loss: Two studies have demonstrated statistically significant weight loss with Nigella Sativa one of them being the TKS-METsA study.
- Protection from viral liver damage: In patients suffering from Hepatitis C, several studies have demonstrated a reduction in hepatitis C viral content in the liver with accompanying improvement in blood tests.
- Improvement in Memory, processing speed and cognition: One study demonstrated a statistically significant improvement in short term memory, cognitive tests longer term and logical memory in older men. In other words it made these middle aged men smarter.
- Arthritis:Black Seed (Nigella Sativa) was demonstrated to statistically significant lower inflammation and reduce joint pain in patients with rheumatoid arthritis.
- Antiepileptic-reduced frequency of seizures in children was demonstrated in one study.
- Blood sugar: Black Seed (Nigella Sativa) lowered glucose significantly in normal patients, prediabetics and diabetics currently on medication. It lowered the a1c (a measurement of diabetic control) between 0.41-0.52% similar to many commercially available drugs.
- Reduces Inflammation- Black Seed (Nigella Sativa) in the TKS-METsA study, produced a statistically significant 17% reduction in C-reactive protein in patients with the metabolic syndrome.
- Boosts immunity: Black Seed (Nigella Sativa) demonstrated elevation of white blood cells (wbcs) and also increases the killing potential of wbcs that fight all infective agents e.g. bacteria and viruses.
- Allergies and asthma: Two studies demonstrated improved symptoms of allergic rhinitis and improvement in lung function and symptoms in asthmatic patients and those with chronic lung disease. Results from both studies were statistically significant.
You can try the benefits of Black seed yourself with the additional benefits of turmeric in Bioactive Synergy formula.